Study Tips From DannyDanny先生のStudy Tips
It’s no surprise…EVERYONE loves to listen to music! The great thing about a song is that it can be very helpful in teaching you English in a fun & easy way.
Songs help you to learn English in many ways because they:
- Give you practice with pronunciation
- Help teach you about the “rhythm” and rhyme of English
- Introduce new vocabulary to listeners
- Teach you many themes on interesting topics
- Are fun and easy for anyone to do
I remember a student who entered NIC, and her English was excellent! She told me that she learned a lot by just listening to music, so I thought this would be great to show you, too! Below is how you can do a “Song Journal.”
- Access to the Internet (not necessary though)
- A journal
Listen to the song & answer the following questions as you listen:
- Write one sentence about the theme or message of the song.
- Write at least 3 adjectives that show how you feel when you hear the song.
- Write 3-5 new vocabulary words that you hear in the song. Write the sentence or phrase that you hear with the word and a short definition of the word. You can use the lyrics (words to the song) for this if you want to.
- Rewrite a new title for the song based on how you feel when you hear it (your choice!).
- Write out your feelings about this song in a short paragraph.
- If you have the lyrics, read the words and listen again as you read them. Lyrics are always very easy to find. Just go to yahoo and type in “lyrics” & then the name of the song in the search blank.
Here’s a sample of what your page should look like:
- Song Title:
- “Let it Be” by the Beatles
- Things will get better in life in time.
- 3 adjectives that I feel when I hear the song:
- Hopeful, Cautious, Wise
- “speaking words of wisdom” = being wise
- “though they may be parted” = to be separated from someone
- “whisper words of wisdom” = to speak softly
- New title:
- “Life Goes On”
- When I listen to this song, I feel good. I feel that even though bad things happen in life, there is still hope if we “let it be”. I think that John Lennon wants us to feel that life has a purpose or design. We cannot always control this design. But if we wait patiently, good things will happen to people who have good hearts!